Wednesday, May 27, 2009

We make a great first impression!

So recently I had the great idea to join a playgroup. I figure it will keep the kids busy a lot and have fun things to do, and I can meet some more people since my favorite people are PCS'ing to Fort Carson this summer. (I know you are reading this Violet) So I found some playgroups and chose one to apply to. The manager of the group told me that they like to do a trial play date before approving members to make sure they don't get any weirdo's who don't actually have kids or anyone crazy. So we agreed to attend the play date to the Belton fire station for a tour this evening.

While we were waiting outside for everyone to show up, my two darling daughters were running off in opposite directions. Do I chase the 4 year old who is running off to pet that snarling dog on a chain or do I chase the 2 year old headed for the road? After I get my kids back to the front of the building I notice that all of the other kids are standing quietly next to their parents. No kidding there were 3 year olds standing there talking calmly to each other. So bizarre.

Finally the tour starts and Shea starts having temper tantrums about 3 minutes into the tour. I was carrying her as she made her body stiff as a board and screamed, while Bethany tried to argue with me because I refused to buy her candy out of the candy machine in the hallway. This went on for about 15 minutes as we followed the tour. It even continued once we got to the garage where the big trucks are kept. Finally when the fireman was modeling the oxygen masks for the kids and explaining fire safety, Shea just laid down next to him and flopped around like a fish out of water and screeched non stop. Bethany didn't do too badly except for the fact that she was all over the place. At least she wasn't screaming and came when I called her. I hated to make Bethany leave, but Shea was just going crazy and the other kids couldn't hear the fireman talking.

I was quite surprised when I came home to an e-mail expressing sympathy from the other parents and welcoming me into the playgroup! I think I will need to pick which play dates we attend very carefully. No tours. It would be nice if there was a sound proof park nearby that was surrounded by an 8 foot prison fence with electric wiring. Then I could just sit down and chat with the other moms while the kids play.

5 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

lol well that sounds eventful! At least the other moms seemed to sympathize with ya! I hope it turns out to be a good play group for you!

Michelle said...

Oh Amanda why oh why don't we live closer to eachother! Seriously I "get" you and can understand exactly the thought process you were explaining. LOLOLOL!

Daughter of The King said...

Oh my goodness! While I could not stop laughing at this post, I did feel bad for you! Atleast the other moms were understanding and hev welcomed you with open arms!

Vi said...

Awwww... I am sorry I am leaving Amanda! Believe me I would love to stay. I truly do hope this playgroup works out for you.

periwinkle4 said...

I'm so glad that they let you join the group cuz I would have been so mad if they didn't. How come kids seem to know the worst possible time to do the most outrageous things? Sometimes I feel like we should wear signs when we're out, like, "sometimes I'm quiet" or "my mom loves me anyway" or "so your kids are perfect?" I guess there are graphic tees like that but I do think hanging a sign around the kids' necks would be noticed more.

HUGS!