Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Exzema, Autism, and Dairy

Well it seems that Shea has eczema. According tot he doctor anyway. She has been getting a dry red rash on her cheeks, lower back and thighs since we moved to TX about 9 months ago. We have tried so many different ointments and creams and lotion, and none work. Today the doctor sent us home with desonide cream and cetaphil moisturizer. We shall see how those work. I don't think her eczema is too awful. I have definitely seen worse cases. But I still feel bad for her because she itches her back constantly. Plus the rashes just look so dry and uncomfortable. Someone told me they cut out dairy and it helped. I find that interesting because I know a lot of parents of children with autism say that cutting out dairy helped their children a lot. My older daughter is on the autism spectrum. I have had some minor health problems lately and it was suggested that I cut out dairy. I am starting to think I should try to cut off the dairy in our house! I will have to learn a little more about how we can make up for the calcium, but I think I may give it a shot. I will be waiting until after Aaron deploys though because he doesn't do well with dietary changes. He would be the enabler, smuggling cheese and ice cream into the house and sneaking the kids bites.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww poor itchy Shea! That makes me sad! J.R. is such an enabler too!

Vi said...

I hope that if you cut the dairy that it helps. Just remember when you do let her school know because I have heard the Killeen school's and daycares are always messing up and giving kids milk that are not supposed to have it.