Monday, April 13, 2009

Breaking the rules

I really enjoyed our day today. Both kids were in school all morning, so Aaron and I got to enjoy some time alone. We ate a leisurely breakfast and had conversation. It was very relaxing. At 11 a.m. we went to pick up Bethany from school, and were met by a very sour faced 4 year old. Her teacher told us that she had not been bad at all, but had a very difficult morning. She was upset because another kid messed up what she was working on, and then she lost a piece of one of the toys and was bent on finding it. But she did not find the part before it was time to go home. So Aaron and I decided to break the rules and take her out for ice cream for lunch. When she realized we were pulling up to Dairy Queen instead of our house, she got so excited. She went up to the counter and told the boy at the register that she wanted chocolate! Then we spent a nice long time sitting in a booth while she ate her chocolate sundae. We talked about insects, and her excitement to meet her teacher's new guinea pig tomorrow at school, and her upcoming field trip to a ranch. It was a lot of fun for me too to get to spoil her a little and have some special time with her and Aaron.

3 comments:

periwinkle4 said...

sometimes rules have to be broken. How fun!

Elizabeth said...

It's nice to treat your kids when they have a bad day. I wish my parents would have done a little more of that when I was a kid. I'm glad you had fun.

Michelle said...

Sometimes breaking the rules is the best part of being a parent. I hope that you helped her feel better. I better. I bet that was hard for her not being able to find the piece, and getting no resolution for the problem. Maybe something that wouldn't bother another child, but to Bethany a big deal. Good job with the diversion mom and dad.