Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another day

Today was an extremely busy day. We were on the go all day. I dropped the kids off at school, then I went to Tricare to have my PCM (doctor) changed because I can't stand my current assigned doctor and I don't feel comfortable going to him for health care. Then I went to the commissary and spent the last 20 bucks in our account on a few groceries that couldn't wait. Thank goodness tomorrow is payday!

Then I picked up Bethany and took her to Occupational Therapy. The therapist was working with her on her eating and it was really hard because she was screaming and crying because the therapist was insisting she use her utensils and have to try other foods besides the regular stuff she is willing to eat. The child can't continue to only eat rice, spaghetti with butter, and macaroni and cheese. So it is important to try and change her diet habits. But I had a hard time with it. I knew she was hungry and wanted to just let her eat, but I managed to keep back and let the therapist do her thing. Then we came home for a short bit, and I did some laundry. Then we got Shea from school, and came home, and made cookies because Bethany was really wanting to make cookies together. She dumped the whole bottle of vanilla in the bowl while my back was turned but the cookies came out fine despite it.

After that we went across the street to my neighbors house. They have 2 kids that Bethany likes to play with. While there, my neighbors started having an argument, but the kids were playing and I didn't want to make the kids stop playing, so I just watched the kids who were in the front yard. Then the husband got on his cell phone and was talking and wandered to the side of the house. The kids all followed so I picked up Shea and went over to tell Bethany to come back to the front yard where I can see her. But she was already around the corner to the back of the house, so I went to the back just in time to see the husband turning the corner onto another block deep into his conversation, and no kids around. I circled back to the front of the house but Bethany was not there, so I start to panic and go looking all over the neighborhood for her, and find the husband on the phone and the 2 9 year olds and the 5 year old telling Bethany they don't want her around and to go run to the freeway. The freeway runs right behind our housing and only has a chain link fence to separate. I was super upset because Bethany did not comprehend that they were being mean to her, and she takes everything literally. Despite my efforts and those of the school, she still does not comprehend dangerous situations, and she would go and run on the freeway thinking that they were playing a game. She knows how to climb the chain link fence too. So I was very upset. I later talked to their parents and they were mortified too and assured me they will talk to them about it and make sure they understand that they cannot say things like that because Bethany doesn't understand things the same way they do and she could have done what they said. I am always watching my kids, but today really showed me how fast things can get out of hand. It is so upsetting to me to feel like I can't protect her even by making her understand danger. She knows she is not to go in the street alone, but doesn't understand why not. And like many young kids I usually have to remind her repeatedly and get onto her when she does run to the road or start to cross without me. But I spoke to her at bedtime about remembering not to wander where I can't see her and to never go in the road. Hopefully it will stick if I keep reiterating it.

This evening I did manage to get some housework done. There is so much! I always thought I appreciated my husband, and I have done it alone before when he was deployed int he past, but not having his help shows me just how much he really does around here when home. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful husband who is a team with me, and does so much at home. Even in the 2000's there are still a lot of husbands who don't do anything to help at home. So if you are reading this Aaron, I love you very much and I truly appreciate what a wonderful husband you are.

No comments: