Friday, August 31, 2007

Our next post

I can't stop thinking about this, so maybe writing out what's on my mind will help me. Aaron is in Korea until next summer. We know we will be PCS'ing (moving) upon his return because this base does not have his new MOS. He will need to put in requests in a few months for where we would like to go if there is availability. We thought we knew what we wanted, but now... not so much. It seems these are our possibilities: Fort Hood in TX; Fort Riley in KS; Fort Campbell in TN; Hunter Army Airfield in Savannah, GA; Fort Bragg in NC; and Fort Drum in Northern NY. We know we do not want to request Fort Riley in KS. Since receiving Bethany's diagnosis of PDD-NOS, I have been looking into the school systems and programs at each location. It is very important to us to get the best for her that we can. We thought we wanted Hunter in Savannah, but have discovered it is one of the worst places for school and special ed. Campbell is considered just as bad. So that leaves Bragg in NC; Drum in N. NY; and Hood in TX. I am stilll looking into NC, but it seems that NY is the best for special ed by far. Seriously it is way ahead of anywhere else. But the part of NY that Fort Drum is at, is known for having very harsh winters. Can we handle that? Aaron is from Florida and I am from So. Cal. So we have no snow experience. Well, ok, I lived in Queens, NY for 3 years, but I was always away, never had to drive in the snow, shovel snow, or deal with kids in snow. Aaron says it would only be for 2 years, one of which he will probably be deployed anyway. If we hate it, I can go home to my family when he deploys. He gets out of the Army in 2010, so if we hate it, it's not like we are stuck there forever. Fort Hood is a very distant second best for school. But we know the weather better and I know a few people there and it would be closer to family. Aaron does not want to go to Hood though. He might change his mind. And I still need to do my homework on Bragg in NC. I really shouldn't let myself get so into this. The Army will send us wherever they need Aaron most. Bethany is in the Exceptional Family Member Program which might help a little. But I feel better just letting all of my thought out.

3 comments:

TheAlbrechtSquad said...

hey girl I did write you back in your mailbox..

I vote for Hood!

Becca said...

Have you come any closer to making a decision then?

Best of luck

Shiloah Baker said...

I was just "introduced" to you via Aubri L. She mentioned that your child was given the diagnosis that mine was. I am a homeschooling mom of 7 and guess what, we live in Ft. Bragg, NC! My hubby is in Iraq right now, though. We are from the Ft. Hood area and know it well.

So, now, what are you looking for in this area? We are getting help for our daughter from Womack AND a wonderful naturopathic doctore AND a wonderful family chiropractor here.
I think I could answer any questions you may have. After living 11 years in Ft. Hood, which I loved, I'm still really partial to Ft. Bragg. I love it here!

Contact me anytime. Here is my blog and website and from there you can contact me. :)

http://www.homemakingcottage.com
http://homemakingcottageblog.blogspot.com