Thursday, May 22, 2008

Too much on my mind

I have too much on my mind, and I can't sleep. I met a girl today who is 8 years old with Bethany's same diagnosis. I know all kids with ASD are different, but she was so similar to Bethany, that I really felt like it was the closest I will get to an idea of what she will be like at that age. I don't know what is wrong with me. Maybe somewhere in the back of my mind, I am still thinking she will suddenly come out of this. But today I saw reality. Not much I can do except love her and do my best for her. And to do my best for her, I feel like I need to give the GFCF diet another shot. An honest to goodness real good try this time. It may not help her. But it might. This feels overwhelming. The tacanow.org website has a 10 week plan to easing yourself into the diet/lifestyle. I know that it is not going to suddenly become easy. I just need to jump in and figure it out. So I will plan to start Sunday with step 1. Cut out all dairy.

The PCS is hanging over me like a black cloud. Although my husband is fabulous about most things, he is a procrastinator. He also tends to think that everything will just fall into place. I am starting to panic, because I feel like there is so much to do, and I feel like it is all on me to get things done. And I don't have a clue. Literally, not a clue as to where to even start. I know he needs to do his levee briefing to get more info. But thats about as much as I know.

Bethany is not potty training at all now. I have bought stickers, lots of big girl underpants. I sit on the edge of the tub while she sits on the potty for sometimes 20 minutes while she wants to sing songs and we spell every 3 letter word int he english language. She hasn't actually gone in a few weeks now. She will go in her pull up or underpants often within a few minutes of having spent 20 minutes on the potty! It is frustrating! I don't know what to do. I feel like she is at an age now, where I am getting nervous. I guess logically I know she will not be in diapers forever, but it is hard for me to think objectively these days.

I feel like everything is on me. I feel like I am failing if I can't get her potty trained, or help her improve her skills, or cook a decent meal every night, or if I forgrt to take a diaper to the trash and it sits out for a few hours. Yuck! I feel like I need to be superwoman and have everything under control, and I am failing because she has no interest in the potty, she is mean to her sister and pushes her down, We have pancakes for dinner at least once a week. I guess I am just a huge worrywart. Aaron would tell me "It is what it is". As he puts it, he is so laid back that he is almost at a stand still. Why can't I be more like him and relax a little. Trust that all will be okay?

On a happy note, I lost 2.4 pounds this past week. I had my weigh in on Wednesday. I have been trying to work out more too. I am doing pretty well.

Thats the most of it. Hopefully now, I can get some sleep!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Amanda Panda,
I hear and feel your pain. It's hard. I'm a nutrition professional and work with many parents who have children on the spectrum and with other disabling conditions...and I see how lives are turned upside down and how much love the parents have for their children no matter what's wrong with them.

Do try the GFCF diet again. It may or may not be useful, but it does help with so many children. It's not only the gluten and casein, but also artifical flavorings, colorings, and preservatives found in foods that can be brain inflammatory. There are a world of products waiting for you to try once you dive in.

I have posted a gluten-free/casein free/additive free diet at www.nutritionandmind.com There is a lot of other great free information on the site...free samples of nutrition boosters, information on bioenergetic testing, and more.

You may or may not be able to effect a large change in your daughter, but there is so much to explore. So take a deep breath and know that she will potty train almost instantly once she is ready. And in the meantime, keep taking care of yourself.

best,

Liz Lipski, PhD, CCN
author of Digestive Wellness for Children

Wolfley Family said...

How much do you have to do for your PCS? Have you ever been through one before? I know when we went through ours, it was actually much easier than I thought - they do almost all of the work and preparation....

Elizabeth said...

I know it can overwhelming and you feel like you are working and working and there are no rewards for all your effort. Just keep trying and be consistent. You are doing a great job and I can tell that you love your children very much. It took me a little more than two years to potty train my son but he finally did it. I was so relieved. My sister has a son with classic autism and it took him a little over 3 years. I know it's not what most parents want to hear but at least we know that eventually there will be an end to it and it will be worth all the toil and sweat. It will be great when your husband gets home. I am so excited for you.