Sunday, April 6, 2008

ATA Airlines


This is kind of a sad moment. A few days ago ATA airlines ceased operations and filed bankruptcy. This is the airline I used to fly for. It is sad for me to remember such a wonderful time in my life, and know that the company no longer exists. I met so many wonderful people. Co workers, passengers, and people in the different places I laid over in. I got to live in Indianapolis, Chicago, Dallas, and New York. I saw so much of the world including such places as Bahrain, Iceland, Cyprus, Turkey, Germany, England, Ireland, etc. etc. etc.

I met my husband on a flight! He was coming home from a 6 month tour in Kosovo. We got to talking and another flight attendant took a picture of us (and some random guy who wound up in the picture. Aaron is the guy on the left sitting down.). He asked me to e-mail him the picture, so I did. Then he e-mailed back, and I replied to him, and we began to instant message each other. Then we began talking on the phone, and he convinced me to fly to Atlanta for a date. I flew nearly for free, so it was no biggie. So we had a date, and the connection was instantaneous. We were married a year and half later.

I have so many great memories, such as getting to practice evacuations and deploy the slides at the simulator, the time during a manual safety demonstration that I somehow got my arm and head stuck in the life vest and had to duck into the galley to get it off, burning all of the in flight meals on my first time working in the galley, when I was first pregnant with Bethany I had morning sickness to bad and the in flight meals made it ever so worse. A soldier on one of our military charters saw my face was nearly green while serving meals and he insisted he finish serving the meals. He even wore my apron, lol. I could go on for a while with memories and stories.

But anyway, 2,500 employees just lost their jobs, with no notice. I hope they all find their way home safely and can find new jobs.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love that you have a picture from when you met Aaron!! So cool! Love all the stories! So sweet of that guy to take over serving meals for you! Hopefully everyone that lost their job will be taken care of someway!