Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Getting closer

I just realized yesterday that Aaron's block leave starts in a few days. After leave it won't be long at all until he leaves for Iraq again. I am really trying not to think about it. I want to enjoy his leave time with him and the kids. Nevertheless, I have found myself starting to do the same little things I have done the other times he deployed or went to Korea. Things like watching him sleep and trying to memorize the details of his face and hands. Trying to memorize the silly things like the callus under his wedding ring, and the exact feel of his face with stubble on it. I am doing a good job of convincing myself this really wont be so bad. It is only a year. As opposed to the 17 months he was away with school and Korea combined, or the 15 month deployments that some soldiers are still on. His job is one of the safer ones to have. He can get internet and talk on the phone, so we will be in touch often. I really feel like I can't complain too much. But I will miss him anyway. I am trying to make goals to accomplish this year and sign the kids up for different things to keep us extra busy. We will be going to CA for my sister's wedding this summer too. So maybe time will just fly by.

3 comments:

periwinkle4 said...

I can not even fathom the mental and emotional preparation you have to go through! I think the things you mentioned are very sweet. I really do hope that the time before he leaves is slow and while he's gone the time just flies. Hugs!

ArmyGirlNay said...

I'm just a phone call or short drive away..

Michelle said...

I'm sure that the anticipation of what is to come is just eating at you. I will be in Oceanside by about June 1st so you will have to bring the girls over for a play date when you go for your sisters wedding. Your parents are in Escondido right? Not too far...