Sunday, December 28, 2008

Our Anniversary

Today was Aaron's and mine 5th anniversary. We have been together 6 1/2 years, and married 5 years. Such a short time, but at the same time it seems like so much has happened in 5 years! He deployed to Iraq before we were married, then after we got married I was pregnant 3 months later. We had Bethany 3 weeks before our first anniversary, and Aaron deployed to Iraq when she was 6 weeks old. He came home when she was 13 months old, and 5 months later, I was pregnant with Shea. He left 3 days after Shea was born for 5 months in Virginia for school to learn his new MOS, then was off to Korea for a 1 year unaccompanied tour of Korea. Shortly after that we received Bethany's diagnosis of autism, and I was very busy learning, and trying to help her. I also became a lot stronger. It was easy to resent Aaron for not being around when I needed him most, but he was not away being a deadbeat. He was away serving our country where the Army felt they needed him at that time, and supporting our family. Without him in the Army I could not have been a stay at home mom, and we would not have had the good insurance that has proven to be a huge blessing for all of Bethany's needs. We don't make lots of money, but we have security, and that is huge in this economy. And he works very hard to be a good soldier, and to take care of us. I had to get over the self pity, and do my job which was to get over myself and be the mom and wife my family needs. I grew a lot. Aaron came home in July when Shea was 17 months old, and less than a week later the movers came to pack our things, and after a visit with my in laws in Orlando we were off to Texas. We have now been here about 5 months and still getting settled in, but things are falling into place. We are now preparing for Aaron to deploy around May, and just trying to enjoy our time together right now. We had a great date night to celebrate our anniversary. We went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The movie was great, and I really loved just having some time to snuggle up to my handsome hubby and enjoy a movie together. We have had some rough times, but I know we are very blessed, because there are people who have had a much worse time than we have. We are still madly in love, and we laugh everyday together. We have 2 beautiful children together as well. What more could I ask for. How about another wonderful 5 years. Better yet, 50 more!