Friday, October 10, 2008

Bethany is doing so well!

I am so pleased. Bethany is doing so well! I had a meeting the other day with her teacher, the special ed. director, speech therapist, occupational therapist, and district rep. Bethany is doing wonderfully in school. The speech therapist told me that she doesn't need speech at this time, which was the second time hearing that this week. She finally got her speech evaluation at a speech center and she tested into the average range for her age! She is on the low side of the average, but it is still wonderful. At school they will retest her after Christmas to see how she is doing. The speech center is still going to take her on though to help her improve even more. She does still need occupational therapy. The OT discovered that Bethany has pretty low muscle tone, so that might be affecting her diet (hard to chew some foods), potty training (trouble with control), and some other things. So we have some things to work on there. But she is doing great in school. The special ed director asked her teacher what makes Bethany stand out in her class, and the teacher said that Bethany learns faster than any of the other kids in her class. She is very smart, and is soaking up everything they teach her. She is still working on social and behavior skills. She is a good girl for the most part, but she is also a 3 year old. Sh has gotten a little diva attitude lately. It is hard not to laugh because it is so funny. So overall I am very pleased that she is doing so well.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh Amanda I bet that your heart skipped a beat when the teacher told you that she is learning just as fast or faster than the other kids! And it probably helped with your stress of the potty thing to learn of the weak muscle tone. It gives a reason behind, and makes it easier to accept, and work with. I'm so happy that things are turning around for you in TX. I was so worried after you first got there, that you were going to hate it, but things are working out so great now!

. said...

Hi there, I found your blog and am very uplifted to read some of your posts about your little girl. My son also has some problems (don't know all of them yet), but currently he is seeing a speech therapist and an OT. this has been a huge huge huge emotional trial for me and I was so heartened to read your thoughts in the entry "little miss sunshine". I don't tell a lot of people that my son has developmental problems because of the invalidation I receive - like they comment on how well he is behaving, speaking, etc., and assume he doesn't have a problem when he fact we have done LOTS of therapy and hard work to bring him where he is today. I take it you're LDS (as am I, come on, who else has the words "celestial kingdom" in their blog? :) and may Heavenly Father bless you.