Saturday, January 19, 2008

Someday I will laugh

I hope someday Bethany has a child just like her. I will laugh and laugh every time she calls me to tell me what that child has done.
This morning I took the girls to the library for a Winnie the Pooh party and National Popcorn day. Basically it was stories about W the P, while eating popcorn, and then gluing popcorn onto pictures of W the P. Bethany ran about 40 laps around the room then managed to escape out the door twice, both times running into the conference going on in the next room. I had to walk in, and drag her out by her arm as she did the dead weight thing and screamed. We don't go anywhere without making our presence known. Then after the event was over, we walk out and it was windy and pouring rain. I was holding Shea, 3 jackets, my purse, a diaper bag, and Bethany's hand and balancing the umbrella, when the wind blew the umbrella inside out. I tried to corner Bethany against a pole to fix it, but she got away and ran off through a field in front of the library, so off I went chasing after her. She got to the middle of the field and decided to lay down in a big mud puddle. I got to her, and once again had to drag her by the arm because she wouldn't stand. We finally got to the car, and I buckled them in, and got the heater going in the car while they screamed because they were both soaking wet. Bethany and I were both muddy and soaked to the underwear. And I just sat in the car in the parking lot and cried for 20 minutes. Sometimes I am a baby and I cry when I get frustrated and stressed. Both kids got over it, and Shea fell asleep and Bethy was singing, and I was still crying! Finally I drove home, stopping at Sonic because I was not in the mood to find something to put together for lunch for everyone. We came home, I put the kids in the tub, and put them in warm Jammie's, and down to nap, and took a hot shower myself and put on sweats. Now that they are in bed, and I am relaxing, I can laugh. At least my life is never dull. Sometimes I wish for a different kind of excitement, but who knows, maybe one day I will write a bestseller about raising Bethany.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi Amanda. First one question? Are you the MandaPanda who reads Hopalong's SB fic? I'm her sister who also writes, so if you are the same one you can get my email from her. I have autistic kids too. I'd be happy to hear from you anytime.

Keep your chin up!